The Florida Justice Institute is a nonprofit public interest law firm that uses impact litigation and advocacy to improve the lives of Florida’s poor and disenfranchised residents, while focusing on criminal justice reform, homelessness & poverty, disability access, and other civil rights issues.
We achieve widespread and lasting change through targeted and systemic civil rights litigation throughout the state of Florida.
We envision a world without mass incarceration, and with racial and economic justice and human dignity for Florida’s most vulnerable residents.
Our Core Values
- Respect for Everyone’s Humanity: We believe everyone, including incarcerated people and unhoused people, deserve humane and dignified living conditions. We believe no one should be judged by the worst thing they have ever done.
- Client-Centered: We respect and center the needs of our clients. We believe everyone should be treated with dignity and respect, regardless of race, socio-economic status and criminal history, disability, religion and/or sexual orientation.
- Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion. We recognize that communities of color have been particularly victimized by Florida’s inequitable criminal justice policies, and strive to counter systemic oppression by elevating the voices of people of color through our representation, advocacy, and hiring.
- Partnerships: We build relationships with other organizations, advocacy groups, and law firms to strengthen, enhance and increase our impact.
- High Quality: We provide high quality litigation and advocacy services.
- Positive Work Environment: We provide a work environment that nurtures and respects our employees.